Public Use Days
Public use on the refuge is limited to Mondays, Fridays, and the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of each month from mid-April through November. Public use hours are from 7:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Days and hours may vary during hunting seasons.
1. All visitors are required to attend a safety briefing, sign an acknowledgment of danger agreement, and obtain a public access permit before entering the refuge. Visitors must possess a valid daily pass at all times. All visitors must check into and out of the refuge in accordance with the provisions of their refuge permit.
2. A lottery system is used as needed during public use. Any activity by a refuge visitor that will result in an unfair advantage or improve one’s chance in the lottery is prohibited.
3. We prohibit trespassing into unassigned areas. In areas posted “Area Closed,” we prohibit entry. It is the responsibility of each person to know where they are at all times.
4. Pets must be kept on a leash, except hunting dogs used during refuge squirrel hunting season. All pets are required to wear a collar displaying the owner’s name, address, and telephone number.
5. Searching for, removing, or possessing objects of antiquity or historical significance or unexploded ordnance, munitions or any item(s) associated with the Army’s historical mission is prohibited.
6. Camping, fires, swimming, dumping, trapping, ATV’s, and littering are prohibited.
7. Vehicles and other modes of transportation are allowed only on designated roads. Vehicles are prohibited off road.
8. Disturbing or collecting plants or animals is prohibited. Wild edible food products (i.e., mushrooms, nuts, wild asparagus and berries) and shed deer antlers may be gathered for personal use during refuge public use days subject to the following condition: permit required. Mushrooms must be collected in a mesh bag.
9. Spotlighting wildlife, even without weapons, is prohibited.